Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

uncool music taste

There was a time in my life where I thought my music taste refined, sophisticated, mature, unique. Now I know this was never the case, and is most certainly not the case now.

This is how I like my tunes: catchy. good beat. singable. words I can understand. preferably something I can dance to, drive to, or clean to. Sure, I've had my punk flings and my underground band findings of my very own, but I'm a sucker for the radio, give me the top 40 in the car for an hour or two and I've got the songs memorized, my favorites chosen, and upon returning home will listen to said favorite song three or four more times.

No genre is too lowly or lame, poppy mainstream country? Sure! Taylor Swift, Rascall Flatts, Dierks Bentley, I won't name anymore because then my extensive knowledge will be regretfully revealed. The damage done already is enough.

I had my mainstream rock days as well, listing those bands may dig my music grave so deep I could never return from it.  Come on, though, who doesn't want to get ready in the morning to some chunky guitar and a deep voice belting out some angry lyrics? I know I did when I first started college and my roommate was already off at class. I was going through something, I guess.


The first CD I ever bought was a Faith Hill album, isn't that weird? I have no idea where that came from.  I must have heard her single "This Kiss" on the radio and gotten hooked. Though I haven't listened to that album in ten years, I wouldn't be surprised if I knew all the lyrics. Music sticks with you. My mom could sing album after album of songs from the 70's... accuracy of lyric aside, she has a Rolodex of thousands of songs stored up. We'd be the most intelligent people on the planet if equations, history, and all of our tests were put to a beat.

Speaking of a beat, Oh I just love the freedom of dancing. You really have to let go of control, and release your self-awareness to dance in public, which isn't always easy for this girl. I suppose hipster's who can find dance music that's never been heard of and are going to teeny concerts that no one know's about dance their little hearts out at those venue's, but for those of us who don't have so much time to invest in the music scene must resort to the beats the top 40 give to us, and be ignorantly blissful. Which I am. If I thought about all the incredible music I was missing out on in the world, I'd have to quit my job just to find it all. And I just got that job. At this job they play a playlist that consists mostly of... the top 40.  I'm in radio heaven.

Confession, though I can appreciate and even have bought many, many albums of non-mainstream bands, sometimes they get boring (though their genius and hard work is far above any talent of mine). I should say, I get bored. Then I need Chris Brown, Maroon 5 or Katy Perry to put a skip in a step.  Sorry, Grizzly Bear, in my Top 25 on itunes, Taylor Swift is number 1. And that's just the truth.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

: ) New stuff for you to check out...when you're not working...and just in case you haven't already heard of them: Dawes, Mindy Gledhill, Brett Dennen, Josh Garrells, All Sons & Daughters, Amos Lee, Emeli Sande, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Ottmar Liebert, Patty Griffin (esp Heavenly Day), Tedeschi Trucks Band. That's all for now. ; )

Donna Boucher said...

How did I miss this??? So funny. So good!!
I have a song for every thing under the sun!!

I gotta go peeeee

Post a Comment