Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Bedroom


This is Vincent Van Gogh's "The Bedroom" - I remember it being on the cover of an art book we had when I was younger. It seems he was a bit obsessed about recreating what he saw and felt about his very little bedroom. Corresponding with his brother, he would write details about the colors he was using. He created three versions, the third a smaller version for his sister and mother. I've seen the originals of the second here in Chicago, and the third is in Paris - which I may have seen at Musee d'Orsay, but I can't remember if we did or not. They're all quite different from each other. This is the first version, I think, but I can't quite tell, only by the floorboards.

A self-portrait is hanging above his bed, now that's a tad conceited, isn't it?

Ones' bedroom might say a lot about the person, or not much at all. Mine says "temporary extension of kitchen pantry" right now. And I guess that says about me "doesn't have need for much personal space"

Does your bedroom say much about you? Because there are details? Disaster? Emptiness? Beauty?

I'll visit soon, Van Gogh.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your new picture Emma! This post is intriguing. I am laughing about your pantry/bedroom! My bedroom is still builder paint white. There are some prints on the walls from Ross. They are leaves and trees. I do love leaves and trees but I think I mostly got them because they were economical choices at the time.

Hope you have a happy holiday season.

Post a Comment