Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Power. Powerless.

Emily Dickinson:

LIX

I TOOK my power in my hand
And went against the world;
’T was not so much as David had,
But I was twice as bold.

I aimed my pebble, but myself 5
Was all the one that fell.
Was it Goliath was too large,
Or only I too small?


This poems reminds me that I am too small. And it also reminds me of my God so present, so incarnational, and so big. When I want to hide, God is bold on my behalf. He is already there, waiting, all I have to do is get there, too. Lately I am saddened by all the pain around me. Death, slavery, injustice, prejudice, deceit and racism are all sins of this city. God help me from being an offender. Help me to love the oppressed, not be the oppressor. Let my voice ring out as a cry for the poor, more and more, I beg for your compassion. I beg for your redemption. Through sacrifice, if You wish, yes that is your way. The tears I shed will never be enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment